Sunday, November 14, 2010

Is it a phobia if you should be legitimately afraid?













One of my drawing students this quarter is affiliated with the annual Phobia show that happens at Vex
nightclub here in the big D. He asked me if I wanted to participate, and I said yes. We went to the exhibition last year, and it was fun, bringing together a range of artists from different walks of the art community.

One thing I love about Dayton is the way it's big enough to host a range of different art practices while also being small enough for artists to move outside of the typical stratification: academic artists with national pretensions, community and regional artists, people that make art as a hobby or therapy.

All this is a lead in to introduce the piece I've been working on for the show. It's based on my fear of poison ivy, a completely common-sense fear to my mind. Although not fully in the purview of "phobia" I wanted to work with the poison ivy motif I've been exploring this summer, due to the proliferation of it outside my studio window.

Poison Ivy, 2010
cut paper and water soluble oil on panel
approximately 72" x 30"






















No comments:

Post a Comment