Tuesday, March 29, 2011

The Dinner Party



Got to see Judy Chicago's Dinner Party at the Brooklyn Museum this past weekend.  I've always considered it a little cheesy and overwrought.  Vagina plates!  Tapestries!  Triangles!  Oh my!

Seeing it in person, however, made me review my opinion.  It was really impacting to think of all the hours of hand work involved in the creation of the piece.  I also like that there was collaboration and a focus on female-associated crafts, weaving, ceramic painting, etc.  The stories about the notable women were interesting to read and reflect on, although mostly the place settings focus on white women from the Western tradition. 

I can see the validity of the critique that the work essentializes all these diverse and amazing women - boiling their contributions down to vaginal imagery... but I think it was an influence on my paint brush today. 

No comments:

Post a Comment